[mythtv-users] MythVideo - DVD images

Steven mythmail at richardstraat.homedns.org
Wed Jul 14 15:43:54 EDT 2004

> Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>how can I make MythVideo recognize my ripped DVDs ? I do just a full rip
>>with dvdbackup (and not a DivX transcode etc) because I like to keep the
>>menus, subtitles and languages of the DVDs and space is not an issue.
>>
>>It just shows me all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder instead of
>>recognizing the DVD rip as such and offering to play it (FYI, Freevo does
>>this very nice, it uses the lsdvd command to get information about the
>>DVDs !)
>>
>>Is it an issue of settings or a missing feature ? If so, are there
>> already
>>plans to support this ?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Schlomo

> you can use xine to playback dvd backups.
> What you could do to make them available in mythvideo is create a new
> filetype (.dvd or whatever) that contains a link to the folder where you
> put your dvd backup.
> Create a script that calls xine with the folder as parameter and link
> that to the .dvd files in mythvideo.

Maybe this might me usefull for other people who like menu's in a DVD
backup. I set it up this way :

- added a menu item in the dvd menu (/usr/share/mythtv/dvdmenu.xml)
   <button>
      <type>DVD_RIP</type>
      <text>Backup DVD</text>
      <action>EXEC /usr/bin/mythdvdbackup</action>
   </button>

- created the following /usr/bin/mythdvdbackup script :

#! /bin/sh
#script to backup full dvd's including menu's
#needs the dvdbackup tool from http://dvd.chevelless230.com/dvdbackup.html
# set these to match your system settings
dvddevice="/dev/dvd"

dvdstorage="/mnt/store/dvdrip"
#this must be outside the mythtv video dir or else you'll get all the vob
and ts files in there

mythvideodir="/mnt/store/video"
#you can /dvd if you want a sepparate folder for you dvd backups in mythvideo

##################################
#make a complete copy of the dvd
dvdbackup -i $dvddevice -o $dvdstorage -M

#remove all .dvd link files and recreate depending on the folders in the
dvdrip folder
rm $mythvideodir/*.dvd

for folder in `ls $dvdstorage`
do
 echo $dvdstorage/$folder"/ ->"$mythvideodir/$folder.dvd
 echo $dvdstorage/$folder/ > $mythvideodir/$folder.dvd
done

- added the .dvd extention with the 'xine -pfhq --no-splash dvd://`cat
%s`' playcommand to the videotypes table. Can be done with the settings in
mythfrontend or directly in the database :
INSERT INTO `videotypes` ( `intid` , `extension` , `playcommand` ,
`f_ignore` , `use_default` )
VALUES (
'', 'dvd', 'xine -pfhq --no-splash dvd://`cat %s`', NULL , NULL
);

You'll get a .dvd file in your mythvideo folder that points xine to the
folder where you backupped you dvd.

Hope someone finds use for this.

Steven