[mythtv-users] MythMusic -how do you organize your music?

Paul Smith cvpsmith at ncche.olemiss.edu
Thu Jul 15 10:31:37 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 5:00 pm, Cotter, Paul M. wrote:

> And I agree with Isaac - if you don't steal your music, the tags are
> usually spot on - I've never had a problem.
>
> Paul Cotter

I really didn't want to go here, but... This may be true if you ONLY download
your music from iTunes, etc.  But many (very good) independent bands offer
full MP3 downloads, and often the ID3 tags are incorrect.  To say that ppl
with incorrect ID3 tags in their MP3s are stealing their music is a HUGE
assumption!

As an example, check out this band's website:

http://www.thecooters.com/pages/newpages/audioarchive.html

Note the full MP3 downloads, and also note that the Genre and even the Artist
tags are not consistent through the files.

Rather than start a flame war, I would point out that even with proper ID3
tags, sorting on them only works if you like to organize your music by
artist/album/track.  Since I like to organize my stuff a little differently
(Music/90s/Hardcore/Acid_Bath/etc.), tagging doesn't work.

As Thomas has already pointed out, choice is a good thing...

Paul