[mythtv-users] Nvidia-6106 breaks 'separate video modes for GUI & TV playback'

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Thu Jul 15 10:43:02 EDT 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Is anybody else seeing this?
>
> I use the 'separate video modes for GUI & TV playback option' on my
> frontend.  GUI is set for 800x600, TV is set for 640x480.  This option
> says it uses 'xrandr' support to achieve the resolution switch.
>
> After switching to the 6106 driver (had been using 4363), everything is
> fine until I watch a recording or LiveTV for the first time.  As soon
> as it does the video mode switch, my overscan setting (whether from
> XF86Config or nvidia-settings, doesn't matter) gets cleared and my
> picture becomes horribly under-scanned.

I think I saw somebody complaining in the nVidia forum that when
switching video modes, overscan settings are lost.  But that you can put
them back with the new nvidia-settings tool.

If that's the case, you could write your own 'xrandr' shell script that
does the xrandr and then fixes overscan.  Just make sure it's first in
your $PATH.  This will work unless & until you start using John Poet's
multi-resolution patch, which calls the xrandr library directly rather
than issuing a command.

-Doug