[mythtv-users] Re: Any reason for PVR-350 over 250?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jul 15 16:57:24 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:20:46PM -0700, John Smith wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out the differences between
> backends and frontends.

The backend contains the database, does the capturing, and
stores the audio and video files.

The frontend has a Monitor/TV/speakers hooked to it and plays
the video and audio files.

> The pvr-350 would go in a frontend, and therefore none of its
> capturing capabilities would be used (since the backend does
> that)?

That's true if it's a front-end only.

I've only one myth box (it's both front and back ends) and it
has a wimpy CPU.  I don't use Myth to play games or watch DVDs
or play video files other than the ones captured by Myth. IOW,
the 350 is perfect for what I do.

--
Grant Edwards
grante at visi.com