[mythtv-users] New Computer Advice

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Fri Jul 16 02:08:48 EDT 2004

Op vrijdag 16 juli 2004 06:47, schreef Darryl Okahata:
> Russ <bigrig64 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I have been Trying to learn what I can about MythTV and how to set it
> > up. I am planning on getting a new computer while putting some older
> > computers back in service as dedicated MythTV boxes. I would like some
> > advice though. I will be using this new computer for everything (TV,
> > maybe some gaming)
>
>      All of your specs are overkill for a mythtv box (since you're using
> a PVR-250/350).  You're therefore constrained by the other things that
> you're going to be doing.  A mythtv box with a 250/350 can live with a
> 1GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a lower-end Nvidia card like an MX440.

Still overkill, people are running such a setup (PVRx50) on EPIA-800's, that's
about a P2-300MHz equivalent. A year to half a year ago people said Myth
(backend frontend) by itself has just enough with 256MB RAM. When you have
on-board VGA that soups up some of the RAM you might want to plug in a little
more.

	Henk Poley <><