[mythtv-users] New Computer Advice

Marc-David Meijer mythtv at xiz.demon.nl
Fri Jul 16 07:47:42 EDT 2004

My first setup was a Duron 800 with only 128mb ram. I'm using KnoppMyth with
some minor modifications for my hardware. Everything worked fine(Live TV,
recording, etc), only the menu was a bit slow due to the system starting to
swap whenever a menu-item was activated. Also, you can't do anything extra,
i.e. you can't run a mythtranscode in the background, that takes too much
extra memory.

However, every game that was released last year requires higher specs than
the minimum for MythTV. If you plan to keep a lot of recorded shows on your
harddisk, I'd go for a big harddisk.

For the rest of the hardware, it depends on your budget. Being a gamer
myself, these are my guidelines when buying new hardware (I buy a new pc
every two years or so):
don't save on:
- harddisk space (hard to upgrade, you can only add an extra disk)
- CPU (hard to upgrade, your motherboard won't support cpu's that are in
store next year anyway)
- Video-card (very expensive to upgrade)

Save on:
- memory (take 512mb now, a new chip can be added whenever you're going to
need it)
- cd/dvd-player (cheap to upgrade)
- mainboard (minor impact on performance)

Don't forget to check for Linux-drivers before you buy something :)

Regards,
Marc-David