[mythtv-users] New Computer Advice

john roberts homepagez at lycos.com
Fri Jul 16 13:45:13 EDT 2004

I'm driving a Samsung 50inch DLP - which is a Progress Scan display running 1280x760 (If my memory is correct).

The Myth box is a Gentoo box with:

- 2.6.7 kernel
- Latest Chris Kennedy patches for IVTV (0.10.x)
- Latest nVidia drivers (6106)
- Latest (stock) mythtv (0.15.1)
- Running the XvMC performance patch from Daniel)
- P4/HT 2.6G 800 FSB
- two 160G drives
- PVR-250
- pcHDTV card
- FX5500 video card

Things look great for me as well.  But I get some studder when I first change the channel (ATSC we're talking here).  I also get some studder when I hit "i" to find out what I'm watching/etc.

Nothing worked well without XvMC enabled.  So - after recompiling with march=pentium4 and with XvMC enabled - things were much better.

I would say the system is "usable/watchable" right now.  I think I have things pretty tweaked out for performance.  I'm running a very thin X window Mgr (can't think of the name of it right now) and I have enabled the 4k kernel stack option to help with performance.

So - as I said - the PVR-250 running NTSC was not an issue... the CPU was over-kill as many have said here in this thread.  It was when I moved to ATSC (720p/1080i) content where my CPU had an issue.

Just my experience...

-John