[mythtv-users] Transcoding MPEG4 to MPEG4?

Jason Parekh jasonparekh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:56:34 EDT 2004

Hey,

I'm interested in transcoding a higher-bitrate lesser-quality (no high
quality boxes checked) recorded files to a lower-bitrate
higher-quality file.  I have setup the settings correctly (AFAIK--just
the recording profiles under From RTjpeg/MPEG4?) but when I go to
transcode (either manually or through Myth), it will just basically
re-encode the file to the same settings as the original file (ie: in
the end, the filesize will be the exact same!)

I tested my transcoding setup by changing it to transcode to RTjpeg,
and that worked.

Then, on that same RTjpeg transcoded file, I went back to MPEG4 and
the lower bitrate higher quality, and that worked too; it's just that
the direct MPEG4->MPEG4 doesn't work for me..

Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks
Jason