[mythtv-users] Okay, slow down, HDTV idiot here...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 17 15:11:37 EDT 2004

Tim Tait wrote:

>> Of course this still doesn't plug the gaping along hole.  Create a
>> capture card with composite inputs and record off of your cable box...
>
> That's what I've been saying! You can get an 3 channel 205MSps 8b/ch
> ADC for VGA->Flat-panel conversion for $20 in low quantites. Add some
> SRAM, an MPEG encoder (FGPA?) and some glue and your done. Then you
> can record whatever yout component video TV can see (hmm, is
> macrovision another hurdle here?). I'm suprised one can't be bought
> today.

Digital today, analog tomorrow:
http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html

Hollywood seems to have backed off for now--while they are succeeding in
pushing the broadcast flag through--but do you really think they'll be
happy once they get their broadcast flag?  My bet: by July 2, 2005,
Hollywood will have resumed their work on plugging the analog hole.
After all, it would only require forcing every A/D converter to check
for US-government-mandated copyright flags.  (That is exactly what they
proposed in 2002.  See link above for more details.)

Mike