[mythtv-users] Okay, slow down, HDTV idiot here...

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Jul 17 15:39:11 EDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Tim Tait wrote:

>> Of course this still doesn't plug the gaping along hole.  Create a capture
>> card with composite inputs and record off of your cable box...
>

> That's what I've been saying! You can get an 3 channel 205MSps 8b/ch ADC for
> VGA->Flat-panel conversion for $20 in low quantites. Add some SRAM, an MPEG
> encoder (FGPA?) and some glue and your done. Then you can record whatever
> yout component video TV can see (hmm, is macrovision another hurdle here?).
> I'm suprised one can't be bought today.
>
> Tim

 	I'm assuming, then, that he meant to say "component," rather than,
"composite."  It's certainly possible, and I must admit I'm surprised that
there aren't consumer-grade versions out there.  The MPEG encoder would be a
bit tough, as there aren't too many MPEG2 encoders for SDTV (e.g. PVR-250), let
alone real-time HDTV.  That doesn't mean that there aren't any... just not in
the consumer realm (read: price).

-Cory