Subject: [mythtv-users] tuning for channels

Mark Maas mark at menem.mine.nu
Mon Jul 19 03:27:53 EDT 2004

Gregory J. McGee wrote:

> Mandrake 10 and/or 9.2 both have precompiled ivtv (in kernel) and mythtv
> packages if you configure thacs and plf as sources for urpmi.
>
> Both have been rock solid for me with mythtv.
>
> I am running 2.6.7-1sds-16 from thacs (urpmi kernel-sds will give you
> choices once your sorces are set up ) and did rebuild from source rpm as
> I run resierfs for /boot.(xfs for everything else)
>
> IIRC, it goes like "urpmi kernel-sds- mythtv-suite ivtv- -a" IIRC. That
> will suck EVERYTHING, including sources. All you have to do then is read
> the initial databse setup instructions off the install command line 9or
> look them up in the docs) and run mythtvsetup.
>
> If you are going to use a distro, USE IT... it's strong points. urpmi
> either from command line or via the pretty gui works better than even
> apt at dep resolution in my experience.
>
> I suppose if you REALLY want to build from source, you could also just
> rebuild the source RPMs...
>
> It should take about an hour from HD format to watching recordings if
> you have a fast machine and net connection.
>
> Contact me off list if you like, I'll send you my urpmi.conf but try
> using easy urpmi (google) and google for thacs... The instructions for
> setting it up are on the sites, all cut and paste commands in a root
> shell, takes a few seconds. BTW, use the "short" option for the
> filelists.(or whatever its called)

Wow! Thanks!

I'll try it again then...

A few questions though: Did you use the standard kernel installed
when using the install cd's?.
And when completely installed you added these:

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://plf.time4t.net/pub/plf/mandrake/10.0 with
hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia --update updates
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS
with ../base/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
with ../base/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/10.0/contrib/i586
with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

And:

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz

And then you did a: "urpmi kernel-sds- mythtv-suite ivtv- -a"

In which case i'm quessing that the 'kernel-sds-' bit in there gave
you a new kernel with IVTV built in?

Thanks for any and all answers!

Mark