[mythtv-users] [OT] Why doesn't my desktop size change when Ichange resolutions?

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Jul 19 09:14:56 EDT 2004

On Sunday 18 July 2004 15:30, William wrote:
> > This is set up in the XF86Config file (look for a 'Virtual'
> > option in your 'Screen' section). I think just removing that
> > option should be enough.
> >
> > Wouter
>
> What actually fixed it for me was to add a virtual line to my screen0
> section that defined a virtual desktop size identical to the modeline size.
> Everything is happy now. Thanks for all the help.  Now to figure out why my
> 1080i screen looks worse.
>
> Bill

What is happening is that X will us the biggest legitimate value of "Modes"
using your current bit depth as the desktop size.  I didn't know that you
could force a smaller size using the virtual command.  I've only seen Virtual
used to specify a bigger screen than the monitor supports.

Another solution is to delete the higher resolution from your modes line.

Mark