[mythtv-users] Can mythtv handle two dumb capture cards?

Adam Bown lists at it-squared.net
Wed Jul 21 12:37:55 EDT 2004

I had exactly the same problem with a single DVB card.  I found that I had a
weak DVB signal, which was causing myth to log errors.  This logging seemed
to be what was causing the drain on resources and in turn caused the buffer
overflows etc.

My system got in a sort of downward spiral where the weaker the channels
signal, the more disk access that was going on and consequently the worse it
ground to a halt.

Eventually I managed to tune the card to another transmitter and all these
problems went away, on a system that is probably less than half the speed of
yours. (AMD 1Ghz).

I'm no expert with myth unfortunately so I've no idea if this is common, but
it might be worth checking your signal strength and trying a booster.  I
think myth is it's own worst enemy when it comes to logging signal errors.

I'm sure I'll get told off for saying that but never mind.

Hope this helps.

Adam.