[mythtv-users] VIA kt133 chipset

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 21 12:39:39 EDT 2004

KvB wrote:

> Ok, I know the via chipset kt133 has problems with ivtv and mythtv,
> but does anyone know the best solution to this?

Get a new motherboard!!!  That is definitely the *best* solution.

I got a dirt-cheap PCChips M848ALU with SiS chipset (and a Chaintech
GeForce 4 MX440 because of the limitations of the PVR-350's TV out--no
Xv, no OpenGL acceleration, etc.) and "uninstalled" all my problems...
I had spent a ton of time over 3 months unsuccessfully trying to make my
PVR-350 stable (with everything from disabling APIC/ACPI-in all possible
combinations--to building a kernel without APIC/ACPI, to testing most of
the several hundred patches Chris Kennedy has made for ivtv, to babying
the system).  I was travelling on and off and was unable to order the
parts I needed (because I wasn't home long enough to receive the
delivery), but as soon as they arrived and I installed them, all my
problems disappeared.  I haven't had a single problem with the Myth
system since putting in the new hardware.

> I don't know how to disable the APIC in my 2.4.22 kernel :(

add the kernel parameters:

noapic nolapic acpi=off

(see the file Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt in your Linux source
directory for more information).  Note also that the first two are APIC
(i.e. Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) and the last is ACPI
(i.e. Advanced Configuration and Power Interface).  You will find posts
all across the internet that come up with mixed up versions of these
(i.e. noacpi or apic=off).  The ones above are correct (as can be
verified with the file referenced above).

Also, note that even with these turned off, my system was much more
unstable than when I compiled a kernel without APIC, IO-APIC (Local
APIC), and ACPI support.  With the above parameters, I couldn't even
record a show.  With a kernel that lacked APIC and ACPI support, I could
use my system to record shows--I just couldn't watch them.  You'll
probably have better luck recompiling your kernel (definitely not for
the faint of heart).  Buying a new motherboard for ~$50 will save you at
least $50 in time/frustration.

If you're using LILO, add a line:

append="noapic nolapic acpi=off"

to the image definition you're using (probably in /etc/lilo.conf) and
re-run LILO (i.e. lilo -v) to write the changes to the boot sector.

If you're using GRUB, just stick the parameters on the end of your
kernel definition (in something like /boot/grub/menu.lst) and reboot.

Mike