[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: lirc on Fedora Core 2 and/or 2.6 kernel based distros

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 18:24:32 EDT 2004

Gideon N. Guillen wrote:

>Hello,
>
>is there anybody here who has figured out how to make lirc (preferably
>he 0.7.0 pre series) work on Fedora Core 2 or any 2.6 kernel based
>distro? I was able to compile lirc 0.70 pre5 but when i try to load
>it, modprobe gives out an error message, something like the lirc
>module being an invalid module format? Has anyone had any luck with
>lirc on the said configuration. BTW, I'm trying to compile the lirc
>driver for one of those bttv cards that has a built-in ir module. This
>was working fine when I still had RH9 on my machine.

Is this aside from the information that's in the mythweb instructions?
To get it working for Mandrake 10 on 2.6.3 (and now 2.6.7) I only had to
do a couple extra things that I can remember.  I had to use the CVS
version at the time which was lircd 0.7.0-CVS.  Because I'm using a
stock kernel, serial is already compiled in.  That means I need to

setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

so there isn't a fight for COM1.  (What you'd specifically need to do
may vary with a built in IR).  Additionally, I have to
/bin/mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0

 I put both of those in /etc/rc.local, then I load lirc_serial and run
lircd and I'm set.  Your mileage is going to vary based on filename
differences between the distros.  Installing it only took your standard
./configure && make && make install as root.

I'm not sure if any of that helps, but it may be a start to give a more
specific question, or at least give you a place to start on the LIRC-list.

-Ry