[mythtv-users] Need advice for storage project

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Jul 22 06:29:42 EDT 2004

>>> mythtv at ultratux.org 07/22/04 5:57 AM >>>
>I have an 8-disk server in the "basement" here.  For ease of setup and
>eventual fixing, the OS and the storage are kept strictly separate. So
it
>sports one 6.4 GB drive with the entire OS, and seven 80GB disks
forming a
>raid5 volume with a hot spare, which leaves 400 GB useable space.

Similar to what I did.  Except my OS drive is 40gb (because that's what
had lying arouond) and I also run CUPS, Samba, DHCP and I program
on that box as well.

>I'm currently contemplating its upgrade / decommissioning. I've ordered
six
>160 GB units (SATA) but I've not decided yet where to place them...
inside
>the myth box will give space, heat and noise issues. Inside the current

>server could work except for the fact I cannot kill the old array
before the
>new one is built (and thoroughly tested!).  And even I do not dare to
put 14
>disks in one chassis, especially when half of those drives are filled
with
>data. But buying new hardware just for this seems wasteful, to say the
least.

LVM is your friend in this case.  You can add a single hard disk, slowly
(or quickly)
migrate the data off an older smaller drive to the newer, bigger, faster
drive,
resize the volume and remove the old device, then physically remove the
drive.  Wash, Rinse, Repeat.  Piece of cake.  The only pain to go
through
is actually getting LVM set up and running in the first place, but once
done, you'll
never have to worry about adding or removing drives again.

Paul
Maarten

<gertk at xs4all.nl>