[mythtv-users] Can mythtv handle two dumb capture cards?

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Thu Jul 22 12:39:04 EDT 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 17:47, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Maarten wrote:
> >On Thursday 22 July 2004 15:38, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> >>Myth Doesn't *log* anything it simply prints to stdout / stderr.   If
> >>you're logging that sort of thing, and your disk / system can't keep up
> >>then that's a separate issue.    If Myth didn't report errors people
> >>would be complaining that they weren't given enough information.
> >
> >That is, at the very least, a very misleading statement.  If not plain
> > untrue.
>
> Not at all.

Oh yes it is.

> >While it is correct that mythbackend does not log per se, one look at the
> >included runlevel start script will confirm that mythbackend WILL log :
>
> You mean the one in the "contrib" directory?  (You know "contrib"
> that's the section for user contributed scripts and what not)

So ?  Is there an "official" start script included that should be used
instead ?  The fact that it is user contributed doesn't mean shit. This is
open source, everything is contributed.
Are you even aware that chapter 21.11 of the _official_ docs outline that you
install this exact file we're talking about ?

> >  daemon --user ${MBE_USER} ${MBE_LOCATION}${MBE_PROG} -d -l
> > ${MBE_LOGFILE}
> >
> >So unless you disable this logging by altering the default included start
> >script, mythbackend will log everything, despite what you're saying.
>
> Fist mythbackend doesn't log anything, this init script redirects myths
> output to a file. Second, I'd certainly hope that people DO edit that

Bwaah.  The whole definition of logging is "redirecting output to a file", so
what are you saying ?  "I'm not typing, I'm merely hitting my keyboard with
the tips of my fingers ?"  Come on...!
Even better: the fact is, had mythbackend logged through syslog instead of
this way, there would have been much less of a problem since syslog can do
asynchronous writes thereby giving the disk a rest.  But now, it will thrash.

> file instead of blindly using defaults.  Lastly, that script doesn't
> even work for quite a few folks as it adds even more dependencies.

Regardless.  The default herein is logging=ON.  And even when people use this
file just as an example to edit their own distributions' runlevel-template,
chances are they will copy the switches used as-is.  Since you really don't
wanna fsck up the new software you're installing, you sure as hell don't want
to change the softwares' defaults before understanding what you're doing.

Next, I suppose you're gonna tell me that the [ESCAPE] key doesn't stop
playing the current show / goes back one menu, simply because people surely
will have changed that instead of "blindly using defaults" ?
Defaults are what they are: configureable in other ways, yes, but 99% of users
will use exactly that, the default setting.

Greetings,
Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.