[mythtv-users] Need advice for storage project

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Fri Jul 23 11:29:43 EDT 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 16:47, Adrian Phillips wrote:

>     Maarten> On Thursday 22 July 2004 12:29, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>     >> >>> mythtv at ultratux.org 07/22/04 5:57 AM >>>
>
>     Maarten> Then I get to the LVM part.  What always puzzled me is
>     Maarten> what that brings me.  Sure, with LVM one can resize the
>
> I wouldn't be without some sort of LVM; I've been using on AIX since
> the early 90s and it is sooo much better than partitions (one of the
> things that irritated me most about Linux before Linux
> LVM). Especially in the "old" days with smaller disks, just setup one
> or more disks as a volume, give each filesystem the minimum it needs
> and resize when necessary.

I agree.  Nowadays with big disks, I tend to make just one partition.  The
times that you had to keep partitions smallish due to filesystem restrictions
is far behind us, a current filesystem has no problems to store millions of
files on a 0.5 TB array.  Or 986920 files on a 0.4 TB array, to be exact.

I also see your point for the OS system partitions.  I have had many occasions
where I later realized that the /usr or /var partition size was not really
chosen well enough.  LVM can indeed be invalueable for that.

I was referring to one single scenario here, for one single storage
filesystem.  In that case I fail to see what to having one partition on top
of LVM or one without LVM.  Even if you decide to grow the raid array, you
can then resize the filesystem and you're done. No need for LVM then.

>     Maarten> underlying disk, but the partition on top of that doesn't
>     Maarten> get resized.  So I have to resize my reiserfs.  Not only
>     Maarten> do I not trust resizing very much, it too can be error
>     Maarten> prone.  Besides, adding a new logical volume of xxxGB to
> <snip>
>     Maarten> LVM.  If someone tells me they've resized reiserfs
>     Maarten> partitions 20 times without losing data a single time,
>
> Probably > 100 times since I started using reiserfs (2001 I think),
> the first year I did offline resizing and more recently online
> resizing and I wouldn't be without it especially for system
> filesystems like /var, it saves a single-user mode which is tedious at
> least for a server.

Well, that sounds real promising.  Any pointers on what not to do and what
absolutely to do ?  Preparations and such ?

Have you ever suffered data loss / needed to restore, doing this ?

greetings,
Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.