[mythtv-users] lirc and hauppage ir transmitter

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 23 13:15:28 EDT 2004

Joel Anderson wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to get lirc to use the ir transmitter that comes with the
>> Hauppage 250/350 cards?  I have the grey remote and I can receive ir
>> commands just fine but I cannot find any information making the
>> transmitter
>> work.
>
> AFAIK, it's only a receiver.

I think the confusion comes in when you look at the product
information.  For example, the Hauppauge website's PVR-350 page (
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_350.html ) says:

Included in this package
Infra-red remote control transmitter and receiver

(same for the PVR-250).

I'm pretty sure that the IR remote control transmitter is the "grey
remote" and the IR remote control receiver is the little button on a
wire they give you.  In other words, the thing that plugs in to the back
of the card is only a receiver.  Gotta love those marketing guys.  Lying
with the truth...

Anyway, the simple transmitter at http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html
is easy to build, and the amplified one a bit lower on the page might be
nice, too (don't know of anyone using it).  The Enrique Vidal circuit (
http://www.lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html ) shoud give you
everything you need.  Unfortunately, only the "simple transmitter" is
easy to build (but it's not what you know, it's who you know).

Mike