[mythtv-users] brightness, sat. & contrast problems in 0.15 going from Live TV -> recording

john lawler mythtv-users at tgice.com
Fri Jul 23 16:56:05 EDT 2004

Hi guys,

I started using MythTV about 6 months ago w/ version 0.13 or 0.14, I
think it was.  First tried Gentoo, couldn't get that to work (probably
had a kernel w/ power mgmt problems in it), then went to FC 1 with
Jarod's guide and got everything pretty much working well and used it
for a few months like that.

Then, xmltv (or w/e that was) broke and I decided I'd just wait until I
could reinstall to Gentoo (see, it's my preferred distro) before I did
the 0.15 upgrade.  So that's what I did, and I finished that up in the
last month or so.  So 0.15 seems to be working great with these specs
for me:

	512MB RAM on a Chaintech 7NIF2 board with Athlon-XP 2400+ & PVR-250

	2.6.5-gentoo-r1
	ivtv-0.1.9
	nvidia 4363 binary driver (using S-vid out to TV)

oh, also I mostly followed this guide, specifically for gentoo, which
was mostly correct for my purposes:

	http://wopr.yi.org/mythtv.html

Having said all of that, here's the 'but':  I never had this problem in
0.14 under RedHat (and the 2.4 kernel), but now whenever I start
recording in my "low res" VCD mode (my Default profile), the picture
often becomes too dark, the saturation somewhat too high and the
contrast too low.  When I look at the test_ioctl output during the
record, the values are normal (right in the middle of the ranges for all
of those values, the ivtv defaults).

My Default profile is 352 x 240 resolution (w/ the defaults for
bitrate), and I've noticed when watching Live TV (I have that set to the
highest resolution, 720 x 480 or w/e it is), the colors on the exact
same station look great, then as soon as I press record on that station
(and it goes to the Default profile, I suppose), the colors immediately
change, even though test_ioctl shows them the same.

I've searched the archives on this problem and am not seeing anyone else
with a similar problem, unfortunately.

Other than that, and occasional minor video & sound jittering (seems to
be near commercials, but that may be a coincidence), 0.15 running on my
2.6 kernel seems to work great (no lockups or crashes yet).

Does anyone feel my pain?

jl