[mythtv-users] Re: Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

Brad mythtv at braddolman.com
Sun Jul 25 16:58:06 EDT 2004

Just in case any other new users are out there following this thread,
I thought I'd post what I ended up with. I finally (after *way* too
much deliberation) decided on a Pundit-based system:
	- Pundit barebones (not Pundit-r)
	- celeron 2.4
	- 512Mb (PC3200, which seems to be working ok)
	- 200G Seagate Barracuda Drive
	- PVR-250
	- old CD drive for linux install (to be replaced with DVD-ROM
or DVD writable later)
In the end, I chose this route because the pundit is the smallest,
most full featured case that I could find while still allowing up to
2 PVR250s. It appears to be reasonably quiet (except when the CD
drive is spinning up - wow, that's loud). I gave up on my quest for a
system with more PCI slots available because I just couldn't get a
system all together that had the features I wanted, in the form
factor, for under $1000  (cdn). Total cost came in about $870 (CDN),
which still gives me about $130 to play within my "budget".

I haven't actually got MythTV running on it yet, but just installed
Fedora Core 1 last night. It went very smoothly and I've been really
impressed with the Pundit so far... it was a bit rough fitting all
that stuff in such a small case, but it appears to have come through
it ok. If I experience any serious problems I'll try and add them to
this thread for future Pundit owners. ;-)

Brad