[mythtv-users] Feature Request: ALSA output

Schlomo Schapiro ivtv at schlomo.schapiro.org
Mon Jul 26 02:22:14 EDT 2004

Hi,

yes, I found it also out now - by looking at the source, though.

But the mixer seems to be only OSS, judging by the code in
volumecontrol.cpp. So what about ALSA mixer ? My i8x0 for example needs to
adjust the Headphone volume control and not the Master. But in
volumecontrol.cpp the OSS mixers are hardcoded.

Regards,
Schlomo

PS: Could this ALSA:* namespace info be added to the documentation ? It is
not obvious.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >well, but this just uses the ALSA OSS kernel emulation via /dev/dsp. I am
> >asking about native ALSA support. In the GUI there is also no place to
> >specify the ALSA device, only which /dev/dsp to use (same for mixer).
> >
> >I tried disabling the kernel OSS emulation and got an error message that
> >it cannot open /dev/dsp.
> >
> >The verbose logs show indeed, that it uses the OSS audio output. How would
> >I make it use ALSA instead ? There doesn't seem to be a configuration
> >option for that ...
> >

> You have to compile with native ALSA support enabled and then use an
> ALSA device (such as "alsa:spdif") for your output device.  All this and
> more is easily discovered by a quick trip to the mailing list archives.

Regards,
Schlomo