[mythtv-users] Wish-list and help offer

Mark Maas mark at menem.mine.nu
Mon Jul 26 07:37:33 EDT 2004

Hello all,

What fun I've had with installing MythTV!

It's unbelievable what you can do with it! I've seen things like
MythNotify that just blew me away! Don't need it, but the thought
that it would be possible, is mind blowing!

Still I would like to give you my wishlist... GIVE you because I've
got no knowledge of coding beyond simple scripting and a bit of
logical thinking that helped me along so far.

Here I go:

1.) The abbility to rip/copy a encrypted (Copy Protected) DVD. So
far i've only been able to rip already encryptionless DVD's.

2.) When ripped/copied to hard drive, the ability to burn it back to
a empty DVD again. This feature has been asked before but i'm going
to expand it's idea:

Before ripping/copying, what about the choice of ripping to hard
drive or to empry disc. The disc beeing a DVD or an x-number of
CDrom's (VCD). Based on these choices different programs could be
run by mythtv to create either a VCD from a complete 9.7Gb DVD or a
5.4Gb DVD (Also transcoded down to good size. Perhaps someone can
download the source code for the windows program "DVD Shrink" and
get some idea's there? (Trying to think like programmer here.
Probably looking like a noob in the process.. ;-)

3.) Make the Recording profile, transcode thing, easier to
understand it's use and how to use it (Alway's a request never a
demand, i'm not all that great in english) Still finding out the
correlation between "Default, Live TV, High Quality, Low Quality"
and "Recording Profiles" and "Transcoders"

Thanks for a great product, I love it and will continue using it.

If there is a need for FTP site access, mirroring, or anything else,
please see this as an offer.

Mark