[mythtv-users] MythTV on older system?

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 23:52:19 EDT 2004

From: "Your Name" <myth at wizardsofwebsites.com>
>Does anyone here think theres any chance I can get
>MythTV, or another Linux tv
>app running on a 350MHz Pentium II?  I don't need
>time shifting or anything
>like that, just tv viewing.  Hard drive and RAM are
>not an issue, I just want
>to know if I can use this old system for Tv
>viewing without major upgrades.

If by "tv viewing", you mean just watching live TV
without the ability to pause/rewind/FF/etc, then
www.freevo.org might be a good fit for you.  As
others have pointed out, mythtv is always recording
when watching live TV, which is how it gains
the ability to pause/rewind/etc "live" TV.

With Freevo, you can also use an old DXR3 card
hardware MPEG decoder to assist your CPU
and do TV out.

-Dennis