[mythtv-users] MythTV on older system?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 09:38:42 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 20:49, Your Name wrote:
> Does anyone here think theres any chance I can get MythTV, or another
> Linux tv
> app running on a 350MHz Pentium II?  I don't need time shifting or
> anything like that, just tv viewing.  Hard drive and RAM are not an
> issue, I just want
> to know if I can use this old system for Tv viewing without major
> upgrades. Thanks
> -Brendan

Well, if you just want watch a live TV program, then any bttv-based
tuner card and viewer program will do (i.e., xawtv).  I have a spare
WinTV bttv card in a Pentium-MMX 166 machine, and I can watch TV on it
just fine.  You don't need anything near as complex as MythTV for that.

If you want to record & playback, well, a PII-350 probably won't cut it,
unless you use hardware encoding & decoding a la PVR-350.

-JAC