[mythtv-users] Myth Next Step - Actually running it :-)

David myth at dgreaves.com
Sat Jul 31 15:11:59 EDT 2004

Russ wrote:
>> err
>> I'd think step 1 would be to run it from a console and see if there's
>> an  error message...
>>
>> David
>

> OK, here is the error:
>
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> Any ideas??

Well Russ, I'll try and help but you need to try a bit too :)
Guess what I'm going to ask...

Does: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock exist?

In general you should spend a bit more time 'having a go' before posting.

I often start an email and ask the question - then I say what I've
tried. That often makes me think of other things to try - or other
google searches to run. It can take a while - but you'd be surprised how
often I find the answer and don't need to post after all...

In this case all I did was cut'n'paste your error into google and hit
this link http://forums.devarticles.com/archive/t-4635

Is that really too much to ask?

oh, and I'm guessing you're talking about MythTV here - you don't
actually mention which application you're trying to make work but I
don't think mplayer (which your last post was about) uses mysql...

David
PS This is my 'help someone else mail' to make up for being a lazy sod
and just asking about the Mythweb preview pictures the other day ;)