[mythtv-users] Myth Next Step - Actually running it :-)

Russ bigrig64 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 31 15:49:31 EDT 2004

David wrote:

> Russ wrote:
>
>>> err
>>> I'd think step 1 would be to run it from a console and see if
>>> there's an  error message...
>>>
>>> David
>>

>> OK, here is the error:
>>
>> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>>
>> Any ideas??
>

> Well Russ, I'll try and help but you need to try a bit too :)
> Guess what I'm going to ask...
>
> Does: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock exist?
>
> In general you should spend a bit more time 'having a go' before posting.
>
> I often start an email and ask the question - then I say what I've
> tried. That often makes me think of other things to try - or other
> google searches to run. It can take a while - but you'd be surprised
> how often I find the answer and don't need to post after all...

I know what you mean about digging a bit before posting. In general I
try to do my part before I post. Half the time though I only _think_ I
did my part since the answer I get back should be self evident but I
didn't think of it.

Anyway, the directory /var/lib/mysql does exist but 'mysql.sock' does
not. Some things are created after first boot so that didn't really
concern me. I thought after it started first then it would be created.
Apparently not, what are the steps to create the file?

I have been trying to make sense of the MythTV How To's and the FC1 How
To's and both say that some of the steps out lined there may not be
required if you used a package install. For example, the file
'/usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql' exists so I can assume I can skip
that step.

> In this case all I did was cut'n'paste your error into google and hit
> this link http://forums.devarticles.com/archive/t-4635
>
> Is that really too much to ask?

Didn't think of that, I'll look at that site ... thanks

> oh, and I'm guessing you're talking about MythTV here - you don't
> actually mention which application you're trying to make work but I
> don't think mplayer (which your last post was about) uses mysql...

Yes, MythTV, However MythTV uses Mplayer so before I could install
MythTV I had to install Mplayer. Then I had problems with MythWeb and
some others (dependencies) which I was able to tackle myself from the
info I was given from this list on how to install Mplayer. When I post,
I am hoping someone has a quick answer that would save me some time
digging, or point me in the correct direction.

> David
> PS This is my 'help someone else mail' to make up for being a lazy sod
> and just asking about the Mythweb preview pictures the other day ;)

Thanks
Russ