[mythtv-users] Re: Guide, and DMA problems

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Tue Jun 1 09:10:06 EDT 2004

> I would disable your DMA settings in your BIOS for the drive attached as
> a slave on your second IDE channel (hdd). Something is either wrong with
> the drive/BIOS/mobo/kernel.

This would be no good, it's a 120Gig for storing video from the capture
card, no DMA makes it too slow.

> I'd try it with a different disk for hdd. Seems like it is getting
> flaky.
> Mark the 2 status error lines, the first contains: DeviceFault and
> CorrectedError
> the second DriveStatusError and UncorrectableError, SectorIdNotFound.
> This indicates hard disk failure.
>
> It would be interesting to do a bad block scan of the disk. I'm hoping
> you have nothing irreplaceable on it?
>
> Rudy

Just video's, and reading off the drive is fine, it only seems to fault
when opening a large DMA stream to it.  So, what I've done is replace it
with a new 250 gig drive.  So far everything seems good, just copied the
whole filesystem over with no errors, and have recorded 4 shows w/ no
problems.  I'm wondering if this 120 is still good to run as a system
drive.  I ran "mke2fs -c -c -j /dev/hdd" after I copied everything off it
and got this:

---
mke2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
14663680 inodes, 29305206 blocks
1465260 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
895 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16384 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632,
2654208,
        4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872
Writing pattern 0xaaaaaaaa: done
Reading and comparing: done
Writing pattern 0x55555555: done
Reading and comparing: done
Writing pattern 0xffffffff: done
Reading and comparing: done
Writing pattern 0x00000000: done
Reading and comparing: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (8192 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 39 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
---

So it didn't seem to report any errors when doing a destructive read/write
test creating the new filesystem.  You guys think it's stable enough?  I
backup the system weekly, may start backing up home directories nightly
just in case.

> No but you can hit the "show guide" button which defaults to 'S'.

Perfect, I'll change that.  Thanks!

Thanks for your help everyone,
Ben