[mythtv-users] To those experiencing backend crashes (mythbackend 0.15 crash)

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jun 2 15:25:31 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 03:09 pm, Eric Hattemer wrote:
> >So, ah, why don't you just get a backtrace like the docs instruct you to
> > do when you're experiencing crashes/lockups?
> >
> >Isaac
>
> I'm not trying to be hurtful or blameful or anything.  I haven't had a
> chance to set it up with debugging yet.  I kept the subject theme of
> "crashing", but there really is no crash in my case.  The backend even
> seems to keep doing stuff, so I'm not sure if the backtrace would have a
> stopping point.  I will try to compile it with debug info and produce
> some useable back/stacktraces when I have a chance.
>
> I just wanted to know if there was something simple in common with those
> experiencing these problems.  It doesn't seem to be a problem for a lot
> of people.  So if it is a RedHat/Mandrake issue, an upgrade issue, or
> something like that, there may not be a developer patch necessary (or
> possible).  The idea that it only is a problem for a few people made me
> thing it was probably something I was doing wrong.  I will try to submit
> some debugging info if I have time anyway.

You're just wasting time and bandwidth by not getting a backtrace of the
problem.  How can I fix a problem with only a vague problem description and
absolutely no debugging information?  How can you even assume that you're
having the same problem as anyone else?  Just because the gross symptoms are
similar, that doesn't mean it's the same cause.

Isaac