[mythtv-users] Dual NTSC/ATSC Setup

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Thu Jun 3 00:13:49 EDT 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

> Yes, there is a global mode, but there are also per-card overrides.

I think you mean per-channel, right?  When I went into the channel
editor I could choose NTSC or ATSC.

>> What do I choose for this setting?
>

> In the setup util (where you define inputs, guide data sources, etc.).
>
>> I assume adding an HDTV
>> video source and connecting that to the pcHDTV is sufficient
>> to tell Myth which card to use for what.
>

> Double-check that the global mode is being overridden for the pcHDTV card.

Again, for channels?  I set the pcHDTV card to the pcHDTV card
type in the capture cards setting.

What do I specify as an audio source?  Doesn't the MPEG already
contain the audio?

>> Now of course I
>> don't know how to go about specifying an over-the-air HDTV
>> source as my video sources list doesn't seem to include
>> anything like that.
>

> You basically pull down the corresponding non-HDTV guide data, then edit
> the frequency tables. At least that used to be what you had to do, I
> haven't played with my pcHDTV card in ages...

Ok, by "edit the frequency" you mean freqid, right?  From other
(channum?) to not conflict with other channels (200+ in my
case to make things easy) and also edit the frequency (freqid?)
to correspond to some (?) HDTV frequency.

Which frequency do I use, the "official" HDTV frequency or
the remapped numbers.  For example, one of the PBS stations
here is at HDTV channel 34 but is remapped to 2.1 to
correspond to the NTSC channel 2 from the same station.
What do I enter for the freqid?  34?  What about subchannels?
The other PBS station has five of them (17.1-17.5 all under
HDTV channel 16 -- the NTSC channel is at 17).

Right now whenever I press "y" in myth it locks up and
reports a 0% signal.  I set the HDTV video source to
start on channel 34 (the PBS HDTV station).  How do I
get the HDTV channels to show up in browse/scan mode?
They show up in the guide but not in the full-screen
live tv browse mode.  I also can't flip channels
down from 2 (the lowest) to get to 215 (the highest).
Is having a gap in channel numbers a bad thing?  Right
now the cable stops at 125 and HDTV starts at channum
200.

With dtvsignal channel 34 looks very strong.  Some of
the others are at zero, but that's more a function of
my antenna.  I need to get a better one, apparently.  :(

Thanks for your help!

                              -Dave