[mythtv-users] How hot is your system?

Andy Long aslong at uark.edu
Thu Jun 3 08:21:39 EDT 2004

I have a 2.8c in a system I use as a windows box.  Stock P4 cooler on it.
It runs at about 60 degrees celsius idle, and will get up into the low 70s
under load.  I've tried other HSFs on it (including the zalman you have),
re-applied arctic silver 5 twice, reseated it, etc...  I've been running it
that way for about 6 months and never had any problems with stability (yes,
even though it is on windows, no problems).  A friend pointed out that the
internal probe on the mobo could be wrong, which is a possibility w/ yours
too.  I've also read that those things can run in the low 80's for weeks and
not incur any long or short term problems.  People generally like their CPUs
as cool as possible, and you'll no doubt have some nut who has a modded
water cooling system pumping liquid nitrogen thru his system tell you that
60 is way too hot, but as long as it's giving you no stability problems, I
wouldn't worry about it one bit.