[mythtv-users] How hot is your system?

Stephen Longhurst steve at longsteve.com
Thu Jun 3 09:21:14 EDT 2004

> As an aside, are those Accent cases any good? I contemplated buying one,
> but here in the UK they're expensive (~£200 from kustompcs.co.uk)
I got the HT200S (silver) which is £135 + vat from quietpc.com and I
like it so far.  The look fits right in with my TV.  I got the VFD too
which works with myth's built in lirc support, but I get odd
characters with lcdproc and I can't find any solution yet.  I
didn't get the IR adapter, but rather put the PVR-350 IR receiver
through into the case and stuck it behind the window.

The full HT200 cases are pretty big, but that makes then nice and
easy to assemble.  Everything fits in with room to spare.  One oddity
is the firewire port on the front connects to the firewire port on the
motherboard back panel, rather than the internal motherboard
connector, so you still only get 1 port.  The two external bay version
also doesn't come with any blanking plates, so if you've only got 1
drive, there will be a hole where the other bay is open, bit this is
covered by the front door.

> As another aside, those of you with Zalmans will almost certainly want to
> get rid of the active HSF on the northbridge, if you have one. The fans on
> these things are very noisy and are typically the first things to die on
> their arses. With that 92mm blowing down onto practically the entire
> motherboard, you can replace the northbridge cooler with one of Zalmans
> excellent northbridge heatsinks without fear of it overheating.

Good point. I might try that on the ABit IC-7G motherboard I've got,
although when I was assembling it, I had the north bridge fan by
itself going once and it was actually really quiet. My machine has the
NB fan, Zalman fan, the two Accent case fans and a quietpc power
supply and it hums along barely noticeably.  I think the case fans are
the loudest, and I turn one of them off, or get a speed regulator or
something to make it even quieter.

Cheers,

       Steve

--