[mythtv-users] Offline DataDirect database updates how?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Jun 4 08:09:54 EDT 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:
>
> >	Hello all... due to logistic at the home, the mythtv box is offline.
> >Always.  No cable modem, dsl, isdn, dialup, nada.  Yes it's a PITA.
> >

> Wow.  I remember working like that.  Weren't the '80's great?  ;)

	Like I said, logistics at home.  Besides, I spend 10-12 hours a day at
school behind my real computer (dual-headed, dual athlon 2.4), so the last
thing I want to do is tinker with the computer at home.

> Actually, tv_grab_na_dd is not a temporary hack.  It is an official part
> of the XMLTV distribution and is replacing tv_grab_na permanently.

	Maybe not, but xmltv is a pretty ugly hack from the get-go, from what I
understand.  Anytime I have to deal with perl, it's a major PITA.  It breaks.
Always.  For no good reason.  I don't run random "install scripts" as root, and
I prefix everything using ENCAP pseudo-packaging in /usr/local.  I appreciate
your suggestion, but I'm thrilled that mythtv doesn't even need xmltv anymore
(that true?).  It's one less step to making a clean install go smoothly.  The
xmltv stuff was the only thing I finally gave up on and ran the RPMS.  When
DD was required, the apt-get rpms didn't update on my RH9 box, and I wasn't
interested in wasting time making it go.

> Not too bad, is it?  (Of course, there is the whole security issue
> involved with having root automaticaly download/run code off the 'net,
> but it worked for me, it's only necessary the first time, and it's a lot
> easier than figuring out the proper order for installing the 18
> dependencies.  :)

	Yes it is, but pragmatically it shouldn't be necessary.  I figure that
everything in my /usr/local/encap directory can be transplanted to a new system
and just work... I don't have any undocumented changes to my system (like
un-RPM'd files spewed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/*)

> Good luck, and enjoy.  HTH.
>
> Mike

	Thank you... I am!  :)

	Probably just time to run that phone cord up to the *museum-clean*
living room and get the mythtv box on the 'net.  Roomate is a neat-freak.
Besides, I've got time drift that I'd like to autocal every day (about 30
sec/week... *extremely* irritating)

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*