[mythtv-users] passive Cooling

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 5 20:17:30 EDT 2004

I too, can attest that you can make a PC pretty darn quiet without
trying for completely passive cooling.  As originally built, my Myth box
sounded like a hurricane and everyone else in the family wanted it out
of the TV room.  So, what I did was to:

1)  Put in the lowest power Athlon XP CPU I could get at the time (1800+
Thoroughbred).

2)  Replaced the power supply with a Fortron FSP300-60PN from Newegg.
Since then, the Coolmax CX-300 has come out and looks even better.
Zalman is best if you can afford it.

3)  Replaced the CPU fan with a Coolermaster DP5-7JD.  Those have gotten
scarce, although ZipZoomFly still carries them.  NewEgg carries the
previously mentioned Speeze WhisperRock II and the Tr2tt TR2M1 looks
promising as well.  Tr2tt makes the same unit without lights (Tr2M3) but
I haven't found anyone that carries it.

4)  Put in 2 quiet case 80mm fans using rubber fan mounts, see:
http://www.directron.com/sil.html and
http://www.directron.com/fanfasteners.html.  The Enermax 80mm fans that
NewEgg carries are even more economical, especially if you buy them in
quantity.  Better still, choose a case that let's you put in bigger
fan(s) such as a 92mm or even a 120mm..

5)  Replaced the hard drive with a Seagate and turned set the acoustic
management to quiet using an hdparm command in rc.local.

If the room is totally quiet and I put my ear within a foot of the case,
I can hear a faint whir.  Otherwise, I can't tell if it's running or not
without looking at the LED's.