[mythtv-users] Diskless frontends?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jun 8 11:59:49 EDT 2004

On Jun 8, 2004, at 08:03, Bruce Smith wrote:

> Has anyone tried using a LTSP (ltsp.org) workstation as a frontend
> only box, with the main backend server also being the LTSP server?
> I wonder how that would work, assuming the backend is powerful enough?

Haven't tried it, but this is essentially what I'm doing with a RHEL3
server, feeding a Fedora Core 1 image to my EPIA. Stress on the server
side is actually very low. Its more or less just serving up files. LTSP
essentially has two modes, one where all the apps are run on the server
side (X -query <server-ip> from a shell on the client side, in which
case, the client does nothing but handle video output), and one where
everything is run the client side. For Myth to properly function (i.e.,
if you want sound), you have to run everything client-side.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...