[mythtv-users] feature request - shut off ALL recordings.

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Jun 8 23:21:01 EDT 2004

> Maybe this is already a feature and I just don't know about it.  Here's what
> happened.
> On Saturday our cable service just went out.  Called cable company and they
> said they'd come out on Monday.
> So in the mean time we just watched the Myth box.  Great stuff.
>
> The problem is while we're watching the Mythbox it's dropping off good
> recordings for white snow recordings (cable's out).  I wished there was a
> way I could just globally have stopped all recordings.  I couldn't just
> shutdown the backend because then the frontends won't work.
>
> Is there such an option?  If not are there any plans to add one?  It would
> also be nice for when I'm working on the box and have to do reboots etc.  I
> usually end up with 5 or 6 clips of the same show it continued recording and
> 5 or 6 good full episodes deleted.
>
> Thanks guys
> Malcolm

It's an undocumented feature mainly for development purposes, but if you
don't mind restarting the backend twice (once to stop and again when you
want to restart recordings), then you can startup mythbackend with the
--nosched option.  This will cause problems if you try to do certain
things since this totally disables the scheduler, which parts of Myth expect
to be there, but it can be used in emergency cases like you're talking
about.  It won't mess anything up, but it is likely to cause you to not
be able to access certain scheduling functions within the frontend or
even worse cause the backend to segfault if you try to access those
scheduling functions from the frontend.  The --nosched option was put in
for development purposes only so it's not meant to be used full-time
to stop new recordings since Myth was not designed to run without the
scheduler running.

--

Chris