[mythtv-users] Diskless EPIA w/PVR-350 (was: Problems with theVIA KM400 chipset)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Jun 9 14:17:56 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 09:06, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> I have an EPIA-m9000 in a travla 137. ok, so I have a disk and a dvd in
> there, but even taking that into account it is far from silent. The cpu fan
> makes a hell of a din. As for the case fan. They are both way too loud for
> me and I'm really rather deaf.

Well, I did say I "more or less" had it. ;-) I don't have complete and total
silence, but its pretty damned close (and much quieter than the box it
replaced).

> So the question is; how did you make it silent? I did have a homebuilt case
> with no fans at all (ZALMAN VGA heatsink on the CPU), but it got too hot
> for my liking. Please, please, please tell me the secret!

Without an optical drive in there, the cpu fan has more clearance for air
flow, so I think that is probably a contributing factor to noise reduction.
Noise can also vary from fan to fan... As for that horrendously loud case
fan, an in-line resistor from Zalman (or their FanMate, if you want to be
able to adjust fan speed) does the trick. I tried running with that fan
completely off for a while, but the case right around the power board got too
hot for my liking, and at low speeds, the fan is quiet enough and moves
enough air, since I don't have a hard drive contributing to the heat.

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...