[mythtv-users] digital cable box - changing channles

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 16:54:27 EDT 2004

> i want it to work similar to how my Tivo does.  I change the
> channell on the Tivo guide, and it sends out a singal from
> the tivo through the IR blaster to change the cable box.
> Similarly, if I am on channell 25, and have something about
> to record on channel 83, I want it to change the Cable box
> (via the IR blaster) so the channel that myth thinks it's
> watching and the channel on the cable box are the same.

That is the default behavior for MythTV when using an external channel
change device.

I do not know if you already have a IR blaster for sending signals. If you
are planning on buying one, be sure it supports the model you use. I don't
think there are any issues with cable boxes but it won't hurt to check. The
one I use is the MyBlaster (http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_001.html)
which seems to work very well even on hard to control devices like
Dishnetwork receivers. Please note that there is no lirc support for this
device. I ended up developing a command-line script to control the beast.
The advanage to this is that you do not have to try to setup and run 2
copies of lirc. If you want a copy of the script, mail me off-list and I
will send it to you.

PS - I will be releasing the script to the public soon. I just want to give
the last beta a bit more excersize before the release.