[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV artifacts/waviness

Wed Jun 9 20:08:52 EDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, John Sturgeon wrote:

> This might be off topic, but I'm sure there are HDTV users here that
> have seen similar results.
>
> Some of the HDTV (1920x1080i) content I have has strange waviness during
> motion.  It creates what I guess I could best describe as a 'fat'
> interlaced picture.  You can see a screen shot here:
> http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/images/screenshot.php  I have tried
> various deinterlacing filters, but none have any effect.  I'm guessing
> I'm missing something really basic here.
>
> The screen shot is during a panning scene so the poles in the background
> are exhibiting the waviness as well.  If anybody has any thoughts, I'd
> love to hear them.
>
> --
> John Sturgeon <><

What is your actual output resolution?  If it is 540p, try using Doug's
onefield filter.  It is a fast deinterlacer which just throws away one of
the fields.  This works great for me.

It does not work with XvMC, however.  If you must use XvMC, I believe Daniel
has something similar.

John