[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV artifacts/waviness

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Wed Jun 9 20:24:37 EDT 2004

John Sturgeon wrote:
> Some of the HDTV (1920x1080i) content I have has strange waviness during
> motion.  It creates what I guess I could best describe as a 'fat'
> interlaced picture.  You can see a screen shot here:
> http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/images/screenshot.php  I have tried
> various deinterlacing filters, but none have any effect.  I'm guessing
> I'm missing something really basic here.

I'd guess you're using XvMC?  The deinterlacing filters don't work at
all for XvMC.

If you're not using XvMC, double-check that the normal deinterlacing
filter doesn't remove it.  This effect is exactly what I see if I feed
an interlaced frame to my 1920x540p (or 960x540p) output.  I think it's
the hardware scaling algorithms not doing a very good job with the
interlaced picture.

If you're actually using an interlaced output mode (1080i), you're
beyond my experience.

-Doug