[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV artifacts/waviness

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Wed Jun 9 22:10:41 EDT 2004

John Sturgeon wrote:

> Basically, I record the HDTV content to a .nuv file, use ProjectX to
> demux the video from the audio, and use transcode to convert the whole
> thing to xvid4.  I'm beginning to think that it might be a 3:2 pulldown
> issue introduced by scaling 480i up to 1080i

I'd suggest you deinterlace before transcoding, via whatever means you
can.  Since transcoding doesn't have to be real-time, you can use a nice
high-quality deinterlacer.  OTOH, since you're scaling down by quite a
bit, even just separating the fields and doubling the framerate (or
discarding the odd fields) would alleviate this problem.

-Doug