[mythtv-users] Recording LED almost working.

Garry garry at sneakyninja.net
Thu Jun 10 16:24:58 EDT 2004

This starts off on topic, but quickly wanders off, so appologies... :-)

Through the magic of a soldering iron and some bits from Maplins, I've
got a parallel port powered LED.

Using a script to fuser the video device (found on this here mailing
list, thankyou) I can tell when Myth is using the TV card.

Using a simple C program off the web, I can sent 0/1 to my LED and turn
it off/on, when it's connected to my desktop PC.

However, when I plug my creation into the parallel port of my mythtv
hosting Pundit, the weirdness begins....

On the pundit, the LED (wired to data pin 0, physical pin 2) flickers
and flashes in sync with the HDD led during the boot process. Then once
booting has finished, the disk activity has finished, and we're at the
main myth menu, the LED continues to flicker away to itself.

Something seems to be spewing stuff to the parallel port.

I've tried..

Checking fuser /dev/lp0 .. nothing is using it, apparently.
Changing the bios settings on the parallel port from normal/EPP/ECP.
Changing the port address of the parallel port
removing/reloading the lp, paraport and paraport_pc modules
echo'ing character to the /dev/lp0 device. Whilst this makes the
flashing dimmer (?huh) it still flashes and flickers

Maybe it's a kernel thing? My desktop is on 2.6 and the pundit is on 2.4.

Just throwing this out here in case someone has some other ideas?

And, if it works, I can describe how to set up a working 'recording' LED :-)

-Garry.