[mythtv-users] Old topic rehashed - X-less backend?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 19:19:58 EDT 2004

At 13:42 10/06/2004 -0700, you wrote:
> > I have seen where it doesn't resolve the name properly, and uses the IP
> > address instead.  I never looked into why, but just added another grant to
> > user at ipaddy so that it worked either way.
>
>mysql has a HORRIBLE time resolving names...  use the IP when setting up
>permissions unless you want to expect trouble.  I've had times when
>connecting to mysql and the server would see the connection sometimes
>coming from "localhost" and other times from "localhost.localdomain"
>which according to it are two separate sources (which are also separate
>from 127.0.0.1).  Basically, it will do a forward look up of an IP if
>the server is given a name, but it won't look up a name if it's handed
>an IP or a different name.
>
>-Chris

Thanks for everyone's input!

The DB is now happily chugging away on my debian box, relatively painlessly.

One gotcha though (which even though I read about, I missed it completely
the first time) - in my.cnf on the deb box (/etc/mysql/my.cnf) , I had to
comment out the line "skip-networking" to allow mysql to listen externally.
This was totally flummoxing me, since I couldn't even access non-local
MySQL via the CLI. Frustrating mucking about finally resulted in my tired
ol' eyes killing skip-networking.