[mythtv-users] OT: Best way to migrate to new hard drive?

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Fri Jun 11 11:41:16 EDT 2004

> What's the best way to move my MythTV box from a dying hard drive to a
> new one?

> Before you answer, understand I'm using LVM in this case for my
> recordings partition (everything else is currently ext3 on plain
> partitions).

So use the power of LVM! You can just add the new drive to LVM, then move the
data out of the old drive using pvmove and then remove the old drive from LVM.
Finally you may want to adjust the lv and filesystem size (unless your new
drive is the same size).

I have done it before and it's fairly easy and no manual copying is needed. You
will have to read the docs to determine the exact sequence of commands though
(I don't remember...)

Bolek