[mythtv-users] Weird alsa problem

Squegee squegee01 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 12:28:33 EDT 2004

Tom, this is the same problem I have, if you do a
search you can find my previos thread.  Here's the
conclusion I've come to.  You cannot use an Audigy
card with Myth tv using _analog_ output.

I went to the Alsa message board and it's my
understanding that you can't set the capture device
for an Audigy card.  Basically, the mute doesn't act
like a mute, it just turns the channel on and off.
And any channels that are on are funneled through the
Analog mix capture slider at the far right of
alsamixer. So, if you want to record the line in, you
have to move the line in slider up, and unmute.  This
poses obvious problems for Mythtv.

The following was the basic response I got:
"Do not mute line,Line In must be set to some value.
If you hear line in in speakers, just set in alsamixer
Analog Mix Capture Volume
and capture.

Peter Zubaj"

I only see two solutions.  Pick up an SB Live off ebay
really cheap, or use the digital output which
apparently has worked for some.

If anyone has had any other experiences please let me know.