[mythtv-users] Re: apt-get couldn't find package error

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Jun 13 12:10:22 EDT 2004

On Jun 13, 2004, at 8:10 AM, daryl faulds wrote:

> --- Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 02:33:27PM -0700, Scot
>> wrote:
>>> E: Couldn't find package
>> nvidia-graphics4363-kmdl-2.6.5-1.358
>>
>>> Oh yah, the distribution I am using is FC2
>>
>> There is currently no stable nvidia release for FC2.
>> :(
>>
>> The kernel modules fo bnuild fine and have been
>> uploaded, but that's
>> about it. A ( very) few people reported that their X
>> did work, so
>> there they are.
>> --
>> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
>>
> I would not hold your breath on this. Not as long as
> the FC2 team denies the magnitude of the problem and
> now frankly advocates consumers not buy nvidia.

The real problem is nVidia, NOT Red Hat.. Their driver doesn't cleanly
work with the 4kstacks kernel setup, which is going to become the
default, you-can't-choose-to-switch-back-to-8kstacks, way all kernels
are built in the future. There's nothing Red Hat can do. Its up to
nVidia to release an updated driver, since they haven't open-sourced
their driver. If the driver were open-source, I guarantee you Red Hat's
Mike Harris would have made the necessary changes for it to work the
day FC2 was released (he's done a huge amount of work on the Radeon
driver -- see the Red Hat mailing lists for all he's done).

Anyhow, nVidia is well aware of the problem. They're working on updated
drivers.

> "Your nVidia video card will work fine with FC2 it
> will just lack 3D acceleration. If you absolutely need
> 3D acceleration then there are instructions available
> that will guide you through the steps to install the
> binary only driver. For future purchases, avoid nVidia
> and buy hardware supported by open source and you can
> avoid this step."

They only advocate not buying nVidia hardware if you want to "avoid
this step" as described above. Red Hat has said that exact same thing
for years.

> I have installed FC2 on number of differently
> configured machines (more than you would want to know)
> and the nvidia cards and 8K vs 4K stack inssues cause
> a variety of failures from black screen to
> lock up system is completely hung.

Which is purely the fault of the nvidia driver. My FC2 workstation has
never locked even once using the nv driver, which works well enough in
a workstation situation until nVidia puts out an updated driver.

> Until there is a attitude change by the FC developers
> there is not likely to be resolution soon.

A change of attitude at Red Hat is not going to change the fact that
nVidia's driver is closed-source. A change of policy at nVidia is about
the only thing that would have any impact on this situation. Just have
some patience though, there will be a new driver out before too long.
There's a good reason I don't run out and immediately upgrade critical
systems (like my Myth boxes ;-) to the latest and greatest OS...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...