[mythtv-users] Question regarding video input

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 14 16:14:47 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> At 15:44 10/06/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I'd like to be able to run my Playstation 2 through my Myth box.  I
>> have 2
>> PVR-250s in it right now.
>>
>> What concerns me is the lag that I'll have that will make gaming
>> impossible.  Is there a way to turn off buffering for my S-video
>> input on
>> one of my cards?  Can I easily set Myth up to not use that card for
>> recording when it's set to S-video in?
>
> In a word, no.
>
> Everything that goes into a PVR-x50 goes through the MPEG2 encoder and
> then the hard drive.

Except with passthrough mode.

Bleeding edge stuff, so here's your grain of salt.

Note that this requires some of the newest ck drivers (
http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/ )--which introduce a LOT of changes,
and, therefore, will require some learning on your part.  However, on
the bright side, the learning process would put you in a perfect
position to help document these changes for the upcoming 0.1.10-pre3
release - see http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/current/msg00392.html ).

Also, MythTV does not support passthrough mode, so you will need to hack
Myth (but, I'm sure many users will be greatful for your efforts if the
changes are accepted).  The hard part may be ensuring compatibility with
the older drivers (which don't support passthrough mode) while making it
available with the newer drivers.

http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/current/msg00416.html
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/current/msg00430.html

Mike