[mythtv-users] Zap2It needs our help

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 14 16:30:30 EDT 2004

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>  How much in advance does Zap2It provide? 7 days? Do you really need
>  to know by a fixed time each day what will be shown in 7 days' time?

No, that would merely be a convenience, as in the box making my life
easier instead of the other way around.  If you'll think about it for a
minute, however, you'll realize that the real problem is that, with an
arbitrary 24 hour calendar day random update, there will be days when a
user does not get a chance to look at and respond to any last-minute
updates to tomorrow's schedule before going to bed, going to work, or
whatever.

The current mechanism for controlling the update, by specifying start
time and stop time, is probably the ideal one in either case.  A 24 hour
'random' update can be specified if desired simply by entering 0 - 24.
It can even be made the default setting.  However, if a particular user
needs to restrict that by some amount, it is easy and intuitive to do.
The only changes really required are those necessary to make the updates
more truly random, if such is required, and to make certain that
consecutive updates don't occur too close together, as mentioned earlier.