[mythtv-users] mythbackend using 100% cpu; frontend playback messed up

Gerald Schepens schepens at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 15 02:01:27 EDT 2004

(Note:  I think the issues described below may have been due partly to a
corrupted mysql table and partly to an automatic install of ivtv-0.1.9
over top of my 0.1.10 version; I am reinstalling ivtv-0.1.10 now.  I'm
sending this message in case others have this issue so that it'll be on
record.  I'll follow up with a further message either way to indicate
whether the ivtv update fixed the problems.)

My mythbackend has started using up 100% of cpu time at some point after
doing a recording.  I have a pvr-350 and a recording generally never
takes more than a couple % of cpu.  Plus my mythfrontend has been doing
strange things.

This has been accompanied with mythbackend log entries such as:

<Start of recording>

2004-06-14 16:02:35 Changing from None to RecordingOnly
Input #0, mpeg, from
'/var/lib/mythtv/1042_20040614145800_20040614153000.nuv':
  Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s
DB Error (ClearMarkupMap deleting):
Query was:
DELETE FROM recordedmarkup WHERE chanid = '1042' AND starttime =
'20040614145800'     AND type = -1;
Driver error was [2/1016]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

DB Error (SetMarkupMap inserting):
Query was:
INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type) values (
'1042', '20040614145800', 0, -1);
Driver error was [2/1016]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

error reading from: /dev/video0
read: Input/output error
error reading from: /dev/video0
read: Input/output error
... this happens a few dozen times...

B Error (SetMarkupMap inserting):
Query was:
INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type) values (
'1042', '20040614145800', 49031, 3);
Driver error was [2/1016]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

DB Error (SetMarkupMap inserting):
Query was:
INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type) values (
'1042', '20040614145800', 49032, 3);
Driver error was [2/1016]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

I took two representative samples of this "recordedmarkup.MYD" error out
of the backend log.  It seems as though this starts at one number and
runs consecutively for anywhere from a few dozen mark numbers to a few
hundred.

Furthermore, my front end seems to have a lot of trouble playing stuff
back.  There are a few problems with playback.  The time that shows up
for the total time of the recording is way long (like 1920 hours for a
two-hour movie).  The Seeks / jumps seem to take longer (or sometimes
basically kill the front end), accompanied with a bunch of front end log
entries about "Did not find keyframe position" and "Waited to long for
decoder to pause".

Something seems to have gone wonky with my install, clearly!

Versions:

mythbackend -- 0.15-20040525-1
mythfrontend -- same
ivtv -- says in dmesg that it's 0.1.9 release; rpm -q ivtv gives
ivtv-0.1.9-26.rh9.at.   I was expecting 0.1.10!  (See opening note.)