[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV?

Tue Jun 15 14:28:26 EDT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Peter Lee wrote:

> Note that decoding HDTV seems to require a fast processor (on the order of
> 3GHz).

I have used a 2.6 GHz HT P4 to decode HDTV under Myth.  I have tried
overclocking that 2.6 GHz chip by 10%.

I have tried using a 3.2 GHz HT P4.  I have tried overclocking that 3.2 GHz
chip by 10%.

Under all of the above scenarios, the decoding of the HDTV stream was pretty
much the same.  In general it looks VERY good.  In certain situation, *some*
pans will cause a bit of a studder-step.  All in all it is very acceptable.
I would have to say that a 2.6 GHz HT P4 chip is "good enough".

Now I have discovered that HyperThreading make a big difference.  Turning it
off kills my systems ability to smoothly decode the HD stream.

I have also discovered that the AGP setting in xorg.conf or XF86config makes
a big difference.  On one motherboard, using NvAGP was a win, while on
another mother board it was a big loose.

I am using an nVidia MX440-8x video card.  I *believe* that a better video
card may help.  I have heard some people mention that they get better
results with a FX5200 than a MX440.  I wonder if there is a bandwidth issue,
feeding such a large amount of uncompressed data to the video card?

John